Tuesday 16 July 2013

REVIEW: To Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn

To Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn

Series: Agents of the Crown, #1
Publication Date:September 4th 2008 (first published July 1st 1998)
Publisher:Piatkus
Paperback, 384 pages
Useful Info: Goodreads, Author's Website, Book Depository

When Caroline Trent is kidnapped by Blake Ravenscroft, she doesn't even try to elude this dangerously handsome agent of the crown. After all, she's been running from unwanted marriage proposals. Yes, Blake believes she's a notorious spy named Carlotta De Leon, but for six weeks until her twenty-first birthday, when she'll gain control of her fortune, hiding out in the titillating company of a mysterious captor is awfully convenient - and maybe just a little romantic, too.

Blake Ravenscroft's mission is to bring 'Carlotta' to justice, not to fall in love. His heart has been hardened by years of intrigue, but this little temptress proves oddly disarming and thoroughly kissable. And suddenly the unthinkable becomes possible - and this mismatched couple might be destined for love.

Review first published at Book Lovers Inc

I hadn't realised how much I had missed Julia Quinn's writing style until I picked up one of her novels! I mean she's among those authors that just can't fail me with their work and her stories are always a delight to read. So, it isn't really a big surprise that I absolutely loved To Catch an Heiress!

Most good authors have a distinctive quality, that certain something in their "voice" that makes the reader tell apart their writing style from that of any other. And in Julia Quinn's case, that certain quality is her humor. I mean her stories are so lighthearted and funny that are a pure delight to read! Her stories are not overly sensual, there's definitely some sex there, but it's not the main focus of the story. Her writing style is more playful and the romance is focused more on the constant bickering between the couple rather than their scorching hot encounters. And I had so missed that!

To Catch an Heiress is as good as one might expect from Quinn and then some! I loved Caroline and Blake's story, I loved their constant fights, Caroline's carefree personality and her ability to see good in every bad thing that happened to her in her life and Blake's wounded heart. To put it simply, I just loved everything about this book!

I really can't say anything about the character development or the quality of the writing style. They are impeccable, as one might expect from an author like Julia Quinn. She has a way around words and add to that her incredible humorous tone and you've got in your hands one hell of a story!

Honestly, I can't make that review long, even if I wanted. All I have to say about To Catch an Heiress is that every lover of Historical Romance should definitely give this title a chance. It's so fast-paced and funny and sweet that you won't even realise when you'll reach the final page!

1 comment:

  1. This lovely tale has an interesting plot and characters you can really enjoy. There was so much humor I caught myself laughing out loud even on my second time reading it. The story flowed so well and the love story so satisfying that I will be reading it again.

    Riyanna
    BoxNGo Downey

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails