Friday 1 February 2013

ARC REVIEW: Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Series:Under the Never Sky, #2
Publication Date: January 8th 2013
Publisher:HarperCollins
Hardcover, 341 pages
Useful Info: Goodreads, Author's Website, Book Depository

It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

Through the Ever Night was one of my most anticipated YA releases for 2013. I loved so much the first book in the series, Under the Never Sky, and I was so looking forward to the sequel, that as soon as I was granted access to the e-arc, I immediately started reading this book.

But, I’m afraid that even if I liked Through the Ever Night, I didn’t like it quite as much as I did the first book, for a number of reasons.
The first reason, was the fact that I just couldn’t really get into the world Veronica Rossi created. Or not exactly get into it, but remember all the details and get immersed into the book as soon as I was hoping to. If you remember from my review of the first book, I had similar problems understanding exactly how the world worked. Problems that as soon as I moved past, I just couldn’t put the book down. So, it’s only natural that I wasn’t expecting to face similar problems in the second book as well. Maybe it’s my own fault for not remembering all the details. But still, I don’t usually face similar problems with stories and with worlds even more complicated than that of Through the Ever Night. Granted, the world building is complicated and intricate and unique, but still, I shouldn’t be facing any problems especially after being quite a few chapters into the book.
Anyway, the details of the world building, even if a little bit later than what I was expecting, came to me, but still, I found myself not being so excited about this story as I was with the first one. Maybe because in this sequel, the story was more centered around the tribes rather than Perry and Aria’s story and all those descriptions from their journey that so fascinated me in the first book were absent. Perry and Aria are away from each other for a good part of the book, their relationship seem to be static and even if there are a couple of journeys described, they’re not half as good as what they were in the first book.

Other than that, Through the Ever Night follows the exact same pattern as the first book, it is quite well written and with good character building. Lyv and Roar story was among my favorite things about this book.

All in all, Through the Ever Night, may be inferior, in my opinion, compared to Under the Never Sky, but it’s not a bad book, not by a long shot. And the ending, just left me wanting for more. To say that I thought that there were a couple of pages missing from the file would be an understatement. Fans of the series, won’t be disappointed.

*This ARC was provided for a review through Edelweiss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails