Tuesday 27 September 2011

Interview with Kiki Hamilton author of The Faerie Ring



Fron Kiki's website:
"I've always been an avid reader. There's nothing better than to escape into the pages of a book where you can go anywhere and be anything.
I've enjoyed writing on and off all my life, but to be honest, it was reading HARRY POTTER that inspired me to write a young adult novel. I will always be grateful to the brilliance of JK Rowling for reminding me of the power and magic of books.
I've written several books, about adventure and mystery, about love, about betrayal and trust. With an array of characters who seem like real people to me, and places, like London 1871 that of course I've never visited, but I feel like I have.
Which brings me back to my love of reading: you can go anywhere and be anything within the pages of a book. I hope you have a chance to read one of my books and enjoy what you find hidden in the pages."


Today,is a special day for me for two reasons!Firstly, today is the day or release of The Faerie Ring,one of the most exciting releases of this fall that I have been drooling over forever and secondly, today Kiki Hamilton,author of the said exciting release is stopping by for one of the most fun interviews I ever had the honor to take!


Hello and welcome at my place!
Hi Anna *waves* Thanks for having me over!! 


- What inspired you to write your book The Faerie Ring?
Honestly – I wrote the book I wanted to read.


- How many books are you planning on publishing in the same universe?
Well…ahem…I’ve officially only sold the first book, but one way or the other, there will be at least two more books. I’ll have to see at that time if the story is over or not.  My characters are very sneaky  - they don’t always tell me the whole story right off.


- Did placing your story in the Victorian England pose any kind of challenges?
Of course, there is the challenge of writing about a time and a place that you can never actually visit, but there are books and movies to use as reference and London is such an ancient city, it’s easy to imagine life there in another time. Also, my wonderful editor, Susan Chang, was very helpful in pointing out passages or words that didn’t ring true to the era, so I tried really hard to immerse the reader in an accurate representation of London of 1871 without the gritty reality overwhelming the story.


- Besides The Faerie Ring series are you currently working on something else or thinking about starting?
I just wrote a YA contemporary story called THE LAST DANCE that I *loved* writing. It poured out of my head onto the page just like THE FAERIE RING did.  My agent is reading that right now.  I’ve also written the next book in THE FAERIE RING series, which is with my editor, and I’m halfway through a novel set in London 1895 with a boy protagonist named Blackjack Bailey. Plus, there is this other YA fantasy novel that I’ve started…


- What is your favorite genre to read and could you share some of your favorite books?
I like a mix of genres. I do like fantasy (I LOVED Harry Potter) but I like realistic contemporary as well.  Some of  my favorite recent reads would include THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern, and I also really liked ANNA& THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins, OyMG by Amy Fellner Dominy and PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles. 


- Are there any authors that influenced your work?
JK Rowling was the inspiration that started me writing seriously, I loved Megan Whalen Turner’s THE THIEF series, I love all the twists and turns in Dan Brown’s books and I love Harlen Coben’s humor and mystery. So I guess I would consider all of those authors as an inspiration.


- Is there a fictional character you really wished was real?
Well, I feel like I keep saying this, but I’d love it if Harry Potter and his world was real. I need to get my hands on a time-turner desperately!!


- When not writing, how do you like spending your free time?
I work as a business manager for an energy efficiency finance firm and I have a family, so I’m busy with all of that, but for fun I like to play tennis and golf, I love to listen to music and I’m learning to play the guitar.


- Which place in the world are you dying to visit?
I really want to spend some time in Europe. I went to London two years ago and we visited Paris for a day, but I’d love to really spend some time traveling around Europe and soaking up all that fascinating history. What a treasure trove of inspiration that would be!


Anna – this has been fun! Thank you SO much for having me on your blog!




Kiki Hamilton debut novel The Faerie Ring is released today from Tor Teen/Macmillan.Here's the summary:



The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood.


Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.


Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty…

Useful links:

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading the interview, thanks ladies. And good luck with the release!

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails