Thursday 31 March 2011

READING: Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt,#1) by Gini Koch


Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch

Publication Date: April 6th 2010
Publisher: DAW
Mass Market Paperback, 389 pages

Buy via Book Depository



How can a sexy marketing manager join forces with an Alpha Centauri male in Armani to save the planet-using hairspray, a Mont Blanc pen, and rock n' roll?


Easy...


She's Touched by an Alien


Marketing manager Katherine "Kitty" Katt steps into the middle of what appears to be a domestic dispute turned ugly. And it only gets uglier when the man turns into a winged monster, straight out of a grade-Z horror movie, and goes on a killing spree. Though Kitty should probably run away, she springs into action to take the monster down.


In the middle of the chaos a handsome hunk named Jeff Martini appears, sent by the "agency" to perform crowd control. He's Kitty's kind of guy, no matter what planet he's from. And from now on, for Kitty, things are going to be sexy, dangerous, wild, and out of this world.

Touched by an Alien is among the most difficult books I have ever read to make up my mind about it.I usually either like or don't a book and even when a rating is difficult I kind of always now whether I like a novel or not.But with Touched by an Alien I really can't say exactly...

Reading Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch was like a roller coaster of emotions.At least for me.I felt my mind change about it from page to page and I ended up liking or being annoyed with the heroes in the blink of an eye.Talking about undecisive...
When I started reading this book I was beyond excited!I had in my hands a totally different book written in a really refreshing way,full of humor and comic references,and a plot that wasn't close to anything I have read up to now.After a bit,I ended up finding annoying the contant humorous references.I kind of felt that that kind of humor degrated a bit the situations and made them seem somehow less serious.
I mean at first I found charming the way Martini was behaving,but after a bit that kind of behavior gave me a spoiled child's vibe.
And, following the same pattern, were my emotions throughout the whole book about pretty much everything and everyone.

The main heroine was charming at first.The kick ass type of heroine I enjoy in an urban fantasy book!Smart,witty,beautiful and with an uncanny sense of right and wrong and duty.When at first she kills a beast with only a Mont Blanc I found it odd and for that, the points went in favor of the author...The problems start showing when she used a hair spray to defend herself against the worst monsters of them all...Then,and when she started noticing things and coming to conclusions and solutions about facts that a whole race of super intelligent alien beings haven't noticed in decades.Ok!I got it!Katherine is really smart.But so much smartness tends to pass a bit unbelievable and a whole lot convenient...And to put it mildly,I just can't buy it!

For me to start a book loving it and super excited to end up bored and hoping to end sooner than later is not a common situation.For about the 2/3 of this book I was ok with it and I mostly liked it despite the bits I mentioned.But somewhere after this point things got completely downhill...I wanted it to magically end so I was not forced to continue reading it.And by the end I didn't care much if things improved a bit.My interest was completely lost.

Touched by an Alien is surely an unusual novel.One that had all the potential to be mindblowing in my opinion.But I think that the writer in her attempts to succeed that, she overdid it.This series has actually quite a big fanbase,and to be honest,it did had some good parts in it.It just didn't work all that well for me.
If I'll continue with the next book?I honestly can't say.I really do know though that I'm not all that eager to do it right away!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails