Tuesday 11 October 2011

EARLY REVIEW: Crave (The Clann,#1) by Melissa Darnell


Crave by Melissa Darnell

Publication Date: October 18th 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Paperback, 416 pages

Buy via Book Depository



Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.


For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences…

Crave,is a book with a gorgeous cover and an intriguing premise that unfortunatelly didn't work for me at all...I mean as soon as I started reading this book,I was beyond certain I had a winner in my hands,only for that impression to rapidly change...

The prologue was amazing!It gave you certain glimpses into the main characters thoughts and a prelude of what was to come.To say that I was beyond excited and intrigued by such a prologue would be an understatment.The first chapters were also pretty much ok...We get to learn about the world building,about vampires,witches,The Clann and the vampire council and pretty much everything that plays a crucial role in this story.So,I was glued to my pages,eager to see what happens next.The problem with Crave though,was that nothing,absolutely nothing happens next,well,apart from that tiny incident mentioned in the prologue...

As I continued reading Crave,I waited for something to happen,anxious to see how all those changes in Savannah's life will affect the story,only to be majorly disappointed...Cause all that happens in Crave,is Savannah dating a random guy for a few chapters,Savannah becoming a Charmers manager (I won't even elaborate what Charmers are,there's absolutely no need,as there was no need for their practices to be so much mentioned in the book) and Savannah dating Tristan,our male protagonist.Nothing else!For 300 pages we have so many detailed glimpses in Savannah's routine that I honestly struggled to finish this book.Mostly,what kept me going was a hope that something,anything would happen.Maybe not now, but on the next 50 pages surely...And that thinking made me actually finish a book I would in no other way finish.

Savannah and Tristan were ok,a little flat for my taste but ok.I couldn't understand though neither Savannah's obsession with dancing,an activity that before becoming a dhampir was painful to her and then after becoming one and being all coordinated and flexible(vampire genes you see),dancing becomes her life...Nor Tristan's behavior towards Savannah.I mean he liked her,for many years he obeyed to his parents' wish and didn't speak to her despite being in love with her,and then all of a sudden he can't stop thinking of her and not only that,but while he isn't able to act on his feelings towards her,he has no problem whatsoever to do whatever he can for no guy to approach her either.After that,I just couldn't bring myself to like him.No matter how sweet he may acted later,no,nothing.
The rest of the characters were plainly invisible to me.Savannah's mother was way too immature and selfcentered (what person really stops loving someone just because the whole world is against you???????And you knew it from the beggining??????You had to have a child before you were tired of everything????).Anne,one of Savannah's best friend was a bit noticeable but other than that,the story was focused only on the main couple.
Oh,and one last thing!Who would have thought that all vampire genes do to you,is get you a cup up in your bra size,a gaze that dazes every male you set your eyes on and flexibility.Really????That famous bloodlust was almost nonexistent!

For me,the story was too one-dimensional to really invest in it,thus making Crave a bit of a tiring read.I guess though that as a book it will have a certain appeal to anyone looking for a love story set in a paranormal universe,with the paranormal element though playing a small part.Mostly,Crave is the love story between two teenagers who can't be together because of their paranormal nature.


*This title was reviewed via NetGalley  



2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it's only so-so. That's one less book I have to worry about reading in the near future! The cover is gorgeous, though. Aren't you glad it was free on Netgalley, and you didn't pay money for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you are so disappointed by it. I guess I would also continue to read it, just thinking something will happen soon ... soon ...

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails