Saturday 14 May 2011

READING: Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers,#1) by Lisa Kleypas


Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Publication Date: December 1st 2006
Publisher: Avon
Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages

Buy via Book Depository




Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.


Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.


Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

This is my first book by author Lisa Kleypas and despite the somewhat mixed reviews about it,I must admit I really enjoyed reading it!

I must admit I had a bit of a rough start with this one,as the first chapter just had me confused.We were introduced to the main characters a bit abruptly and the description of the specific first scene just struck me a bit odd...But after that first chapter,I slowly emerged into Lisa Kleypas' world and I trully enjoyed this story!

Her writing style is really good and her images very vivid!It was as I myself lived in that time and saw what the characters saw trough my own eyes!
Her characters are also well developed and realistic and I liked how she chose to portray the progressive fall of strictly aristocratic England,to one that slowly makes room for the more industrial one.

But what I loved most in this book is the leading character,Simon!I just love him!Kleypas did an amazing job writing this character,a thing I'm sad to say didn't happen with the heroine as well...You see,my only problem with this novel alone,was the leading heroine,Annabelle.I just couldn't bring myself to like her all the way.There were times I liked her and times I couldn't make up my mind about her...One moment she's all shy and proud and unyielding and the next she speaks and thinks like a manipulative and arrogant person.I really saw the whys and  understood the things that made her think in such a way but still,I couldn't make up my mind about her,despite the fact she redeemed herself by the end of the book.

Anyway,despite having some problems with the heroine,the book in whole is very good and evenly paced and I totally enjoyed myself while reading,making it imperative that I continue on with the rest books in the series,which from what I hear only get better!A must read for the lovers of the genre!




3 comments:

  1. Suunds like a great book! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa Kleypas is one of my favourite historical authors. I am glad you liked the book, and I know the rest of the series will be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Aurian That's what I've been told from almost everyone!I have to admit that the second book which I just finished was Amazing!I can't wait to start reading the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails