Wednesday 17 November 2010

READING: Hush,Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick



Christine from Reading on The Dark Side and myself decided to somewhat make our joint reviews a regular event and i'm really excited about it!I love picking our next books to read and since our TBR pile has many books in common the hard part is deciding on which book to start from!Apart from that i think that the similtaneous review of the same book by two people is more enlightening than reading just one's thoughts!





This time we chose Hush,hush by Becca Fitzpatrick!

Hush,Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


Publication Date: October 13th 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Hardback, 391 pages


Buy it via Book Depository
 


For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Our thoughts on the characters:

Christine:
Both Nora and Patch were great characters. Patch is just the right mix of mysterious bad boy without being a total jerk. Even though I kind of knew that Patch wouldn´t end up killing Nora, I was wondering about his motives. I loved his constant innuendos, flirting and dirty smiles. I could totally picture him in his dark clothes! I must admit that I would have probaby fallen for him as well! :)
Nora is incredibly mature but then very much acts like a typical girl at her age, falling in love with the wrong guy. I found it very appealing that she didn´t act all dreamy eyed and crazy in love, but held her own against him. Scenes like her unsuccessful attempts at interviewing or seducing other people in order to get information made her very likeable and realistic.
She did take the news of Patch being a Fallen Angel pretty well, even though she had enough time to get used to all the strange things that happened in her life. I guess I would have been more freaked out if someone would be trying to kill me and stalk me.
I really enjoyed her relationship with Vee (loved the name BTW Vee Sky). Her nosy personality and her well meant warnings did remind me of some of my closest friends.
Elliot and Jules did round up the great cast of characters. 

Anna:
I loved Patch!I don't know if it was because he was an angel and i have a thing for angels, fallen or not, or because he was your so typical bad but at the same time unbelievably sexy boy!He was a consistent character,secretive and with his own motives and agenda but at the same time sweet and sexy as hell!I loved his sarcasm and innuendos and to be honest there were times where i doubted his innocense.Nora on the other hand is a fine character.I just didn't love her as much as i loved Patch.I liked the fact that she was smart and capable of at least trying to hold her own ground and i really enjoyed her relationship with Vee.What i didn't like or rather found unbelievable was yet again the fact that a human totally oblivious to anything supernatural such as Nora just took so easily the news of her crush being a fallen angel and generally the existence of the supernatural element in her perfectly tided little world!Especially when Nora is portrayed as a little control freak,something so huge and strange should have snapped her and cause her a mental breakdown or at least she would have done something else rather than just accepting the unbelievable without questioning...That, plus her reaction when she thought she was a in danger and someone was stalking her...Nora is portrayed as really smart and logical among other traits but what logical person would just keep his mouth shut when such bizarre things kept happening?I gather she didn't want to upset her mother but since she was logical she should have seen that killing herself because she kept her mouth shut would probably upset her somewhat a liitle more.Anyway,i liked Nora's character i just find sometimes some of the characters' reactions in books a bit unbelievable and in contrast with their portrayal and it always bothers me.
Apart Patch and Nora and a little bit Vee all the other surrounding characters weren't really that much developed.The story was completely focused on those two and explaining the world the story is set.


Our thoughts on the plot:
Christine:
Okay, I have a confession to make: some YA books I find slightly boring. *ducks rotten tomatoes* I like books with action, violence and sex. There, I said it. “Hush, Hush” however was never boring to me. At first I was constantly wondering and trying to figure out who was behind the attacks on Nora and enjoying all the Patch/Nora moments and the end had more than enough action even for my taste.
Despite “Hush, Hush” being a Young Adult book, there is so much heat and sexual attraction in this book that my romance lover heart felt totally satisfied. Especially the very last scene between Patch and Nora made me expect only the best from the sequel “Crescendo”. The chemistry between the both of them is just perfect, better than in some PNR books I´ve read. 

Anna:
I liked Becca Fitzpatrick's writing style.It was smooth and easily flowing.There wasn't just a minute where i was bored and this is the second time i read this book (in order to read Crescendo i just had to reread this!).Hush Hush was my first book about angels and since i love them that much this book holds a special part in my heart.The world is quite well built and has potential for more exploring is evident.By the end of Hush, Hush you can easily understand that you haven't read not even the half of the story yet and the politics and mechanics of the angelic society aren't fully explored.I just can't wait to read what happens next and how the story will progrees


Our favorite scene:
Christine:
There were so many good of them, it´s so hard to choose! Among my favorites were the scene in the motel and the pool game between Patch and Nora. 

Anna:
I have to agree with Chiristine on this one...There were many scenes i really liked but my favorite was in the motel.I love stormy days and the combination of storm,no electricity,motel and Patch and Nora in wet clothes just screamed sexy!


Final verdict:
Christine:
4.5 out of 5 stars. This book is near perfection. I´ll save half a star for the next one though!

Anna:
I'll give Hush Hush 4 stars.The only reason i don't give 5 is because as i said i found hard to believe some of Nora's reactions.Other than that the book was amazing!


Both Cristine and myself are now reading Crescendo,the sequel of Hush, Hush,so stay tuned for our other joint review which is about to come shortly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails