Thursday 21 March 2013

REVIEW: Love in the Afternoon by Alison Packard

Love in the Afternoon by Alison Packard

Publication Date:December 17th 2012
Publisher:Carina Press
ebook, 245 pages
Useful Info: Goodreads, Author's Website

Kayla Maxwell is eager to shed her slasher-flick bimbo image—and she plans to do just that in her new role on daytime’s most popular soap. With a chance to showcase her dramatic range, Kayla will be able to wash away the lingering betrayal and public humiliation left by her controlling, philandering ex-boyfriend.

Sean Barrett, the son of an influential, award-winning actor, is the hottest soap star in the country. Paired on-screen with the talented and beautiful Kayla Maxwell, Sean is determined to keep her at arm’s length, burned before by fame-seeking actresses who had no qualms about using him to get to his famous father.

But when Kayla receives threatening letters, her past as a scream queen seems to be coming back to haunt her. Succumbing to an attraction neither one of them can deny, Sean and Kayla must face down her stalker and their own personal demons before trusting what they both feel—a love that lasts long after the cameras stop rolling.

Love in the Afternoon was a most pleasant surprise of a story! It was incredibly cute and sweet and sexy enough to keep me glued to my e-reader. I mean what's not there to love in this story? Good and easy to relate to characters - check. Toe-curling romance - check. Interesting plot - check. Love in the Afternoon has all that I'm searching for in a contemporary romance.

You know me, I'm a sucker for celebrity stories, whether it's about actors or singers, and this one is among the best of that kind I read in a long time... Alison Packard did an amazing job in writing a story, that although it follows most of the cliches in contemporary romance, manages to stand out with a sweet story and a sizzling hot couple. I fell in love with Kayla and Sean and their story! I loved how they didn't express their undying love from the first chapters but I had the chance to see their romance bloom. I loved how Packard made them become friends at first and then something more. That way I could get to know them better, warm to them and care for their happily ever after and not just focus on the sexiness level of their relationship. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for the sexy parts, just not when they are the sole focus of a story. Something that fortunately, wasn't the case in Love in the Afternoon.

This is the story of Kayla and Sean, both soap opera actors who meet on set and their on screen chemistry follows them outside of the set as well. But there's also something sinister lurking in the corners of this story, or rather someone who wants to hurt Kayla. So you see, Love in the Afternoon hasn't only a romantic plot to keep you glued to the pages but there's also a hint of a mystery,some suspense. Granted, I had guessed the identity of the stalker waaay to soon, but still, it was a fun book to read. And as you guessed, I didn't really need the mystery part of this story to keep me turning the pages :)

Kayla is sweet and I liked how she grew to be independent by the end of the book. She was strong and didn't put up with Sean when he was acting like a lunatic towards the end of the story. Unlike many other heroines who forgive everything easily, she put up a fight. I liked that about her. Sean on the other hand was caring and an alpha, hot male, like every self respecting hero should be ; ) I liked him even in his bad times and what I remember most of him is how protective he was of Kayla.

Another favorite part of the story were the filming parts. I don't really know how it really is on a set, so I really enjoyed the descriptions of their on set relationship in contrast to that of their real life.

All in all, Love in the Afternoon is a sweet contemporary romance title I literally devoured! It had everything I'm looking for in a romantic title and in the exact right amount. Totally recommend it!

*This title was provided for a review through NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails