Tuesday 12 March 2013

REVIEW: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

Series:The Coincidence, #1
Publication Date:December 13th 2012
Publisher:Jessica Sorensen
ebook, 230 pages
Useful Info: Goodreads, Author's Website

There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

After seeing the cover and reading the premise of The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, I just knew that I had to read this book as soon as possible. I mean it sounds like exactly the kind of story I usually enjoy reading and you know what? The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden really is, the kind of story I love reading!

This story has everything I look for in a book. A great set of leading characters, well developed secondary characters, a great and touching story and a romantic plot that is not only sweet and touching but also has an even pace.
The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden has a toe curling romance and since that was the story’s primary focus, I can only say that Jessica Sorensen delivered exactly what the premise of this book was promising its readers.
There’s no insta-love, there’s only a romance that blooms between two very tortured young people. And here I have to say that Sorensen handled with great sensitivity both the matter of raping and that of domestic violence. Both Callie and Kayden behaved and reacted in certain situations in a way that is consistent with victims of such violence. The author didn’t try to sugarcoat things, or sweeten up the ugly reality, she just wrote about two survivors who manage to overcome their demons and find their happily ever after. Or do they? The cliffhangerish ending leaves many things open. Although I’m pretty certain about how thing will turn out in the second book, one can only be so certain.

Like I said, Jessica Sorensen did a great job with how she wrote both her main characters, as well as the secondary ones. But here I have to note a couple of things. First, I would have loved to see a little bit more on Kayden’s dad, seeing how a major part he played in this story along with a couple more of the secondary characters. Seth, Callie’s best friend as well as Luke, Kayden’s best friend, are the only of the secondary characters who get their fair share of character development, but still, there are many things about them still to be said and explored, especially, since they both, seem to have their own traumatic past. And here comes my second note. I thought that it was a little bit too much, that so many characters in this story have such problematic pasts. Surely, life isn’t all sweet and easy, but still, we have 4 characters that occupy the better part of the book that have lived through hell. Not that this can’t happen, but still, I thought it was a little bit too much. Not that this fact bothered me or made me enjoy this story less, but I couldn’t help but noticing it.

Other than that, the pace of the story is great, at least one that I enjoyed, and I loved seeing both Callie and Kayden overcome their personal fears and fall in love. Of course I would have preferred for the story to not end in that way, but hey, who knows what Jessica Sorensen has in store for book two?

All in all, The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden is a story I couldn’t put down no matter what and I enjoyed every minute of it. Thankfully, I won’t have to wait too long for book two to be released!



4 comments:

  1. Yea for no insta-love. Now I have to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tortured pasts and a well-developed romance? This sounds like exactly the kind of book I'd like too. I'll be adding this to my TBR. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the New Adult genre but I feel that they are all the same. All of the older teens have is a tortured past that they have to work through in order to love one another. Umm did all of these authors get together and decide that needed to be the plot line for ALL New Adult books! I don't know I still want to read this one but I'm already tired of the same old thing in each of these books.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book. It's so detailed to the point where you can actually visualized everything that's happening. I love how the story shows and tells Callie's and Kayden's perspective. I don't know if a movie will be made out of this book, but if so, I would definitely love to see it.

    Zaira Lynn (Skagway Alaska)

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails