Tuesday 3 January 2012

EARLY REVIEW: Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky,#1) by Veronica Rossi


Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Publication Date: January 3rd 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Hardcover, 400 pages



Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.

Under the Never Sky is an unbelievably original,incredibly imaginable and trully amazing debut novel by an author whose work I will stalk from now on!

I have to admit it,I had a bit of a rough start with this book. The author throws her reader right in the middle of the story,with no preliminaries,no explanations whatsoever."What is the Unity", "what are those Realms" and "what's going on?" are some of the questions I kept asking as soon as I started reading Under the Never Sky.Some answers,granted,are given as the story progresses.But to some, my questions still remain...
As you can imagine,I had a bit of a difficulty getting into the world Veronica Rossi created but let me just say that: as soon as I got into,I just didn't want to get out any time soon...

Veronica Rossi's writing style is brilliant.Intricate, detailed, fast paced,all the elements are there to create an incredible book that many readers will love!
The characters are also well developed and feel real to the reader.
Aria is strong,smart and independent and I didn't hear her whine not even once despite all those things that happened to her.She dealt with her problems so stoically that I couldn't help but love and admire her.And not only that,but she also managed to develop as a character throughout the book,to become someone better through all her predicaments.Amidst so many heroines I've encountered lately that keep whining,with reason or not,Aria manages to stand out!
Perry is yet another well delivered character.He is multi dimensional and written so carefully that you can't help but fall in love with him!

Personally,I have a thing for stories that unfold during a journey and all sorts of disasters happen.Some of my favorite books have that setting.So it's only natural,that as soon as Aria and Perry began their journey,I just couldn't put this book down.And Rossi's powerful writing just made me a fellow traveler to her protagonists!

All in all, Under the Never Sky is a debut novel you just don't want to miss reading!Despite the fact that as I said I still have questions about how exactly the world the author created works,that didn't stop me from fallin in love with this book!A must read!




*This title was reviewed via NetGalley



3 comments:

  1. I reading this right now and I completely agree that we are just thrown into this new world. I had a feeling that I wouldn't get all my answers in this book that I'd have to waiting until the entire series is out, but I'm liking the book so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the book! Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rossi paired these two characters together into a world torn apart and into a civilization on the brink of destroying itself yet again. While slow to start UTNS will grasp readers as this pair fight for what is right and true and their songs will be sung on the winds of Aether. A whole new cast in a whole new world of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails