Thursday 24 November 2011

REVIEW: Silence (Hush, Hush,#3) by Becca Fitzpatrick


Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

Publication Date: October 4th 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Hardcover, 438 pages

Buy via Book Depository



The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.


Honestly, I don't really know where to start my review of Silence...Reading this book, was a small disaster for me...

First of all,let me just say, that as soon as I started reading Silence,I couldn't remember a single thing about the story apart from some major things.Nothing!And that doesn't happen to me often,usually,even after having read a book as good as a year ago,even if I don't remember everything about the storyline,after a certain point in the book I will catch up and have no problem whatsoever...I mean,from the prologue, I was utterly confused,and that's never a good sign,so before reading any further I consulted a friend about what happened in the previous books.I thought that would suffice...So,I continued on to the actual chapters...But despite the spoilers and having in mind the most crucial parts of the previous books in the series,I was still confused...And for that,there are only three explanations: 1. I'm plainly that stupid!, 2. I have a really short short and long term memory and 3. Silence was unecessarily complicated as my friend Giota from A Story Untold very well put it.
And from those three explanations I'm leaning into the third one...Because I don't fancy myself that stupid and both my long and short term memory are working just fine.Certainly, not remembering all the details didn't help,but since I haven't encountered that problem ever before,I don't see the reason why that would start being such a problem now.Maybe if I had read the other two books right before Silence I wouldn't have a problem whatsoever,but I don't either have the time to do so with all the series I read nor I find it necessary...

Anyway, enough with that!Now, from my review of Crescendo,I had made clear that I pretty much was annoyed with Nora, to put it mildly.In Hush, Hush she was okay I guess,in Crescendo she was annoying and in Silence she acted like a 5 year old kid who does whatever comes to its mind without thinking any consequences...
See, Nora, has just been released from capture, she doesn't remember a thing about the last 5 months of her life and finds it oh so logical to sneak outside of her house, at night, to go the very place she was left when released,a cemetery from all places!!!!!Who does that,huh???Apparently Nora!
A second example: She doesn't remember a thing, as I just said, and when a complete stranger approaches her, again at night, starting telling her all kind of unbelievable things about angels and Nephils and a Black Hand,she isn't screaming "Bloody Murder" and immediatelly start running,she isn't even questioning his sanity.Nothing!She just believes him and takes for granted everything...
Should I continue?I have more examples but I hardly find it necessary.You get my point.Noone acts like that,at least noone sane... But Nora does.And I hate to say it,she only does so because in that way Becca Fitzpatrick could take her story a step further...Because every single time Nora acted in such a way, she just happened to meet someone crucial or something major happened...

So, because of all the things I stated above,I was more occupied being pissed with what I was reading than enjoying the actual story.I also kind of missed the old Patch...He wasn't the bad boy of the previous books with the snarky comments and the attitude I was used to adore. But that wasn't my main problem.I could accept the overprotective and completely smitten Patch if the story progressed more smoothly and more logically if I can say that.

I know once more I'm in the minority of people who didn't enjoy Silence, but I just couldn't take my mind off some things...Should I continue with the next and let's hope final installment?I really don't know...Honestly!I was really disappointed with Silence.





2 comments:

  1. I just finished Silence this morning, and while I did really enjoy it (I think it may be my fave in the series so far), I have a major problem: I HATE Nora. She's as dumb as a brick.

    She has a death wish. She's constantly getting herself in trouble, and honestly? If what happened at the end of this book had not have happened, I have no idea how she'd survive to 18.

    I wanted to KILL her in Crescendo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Sarah!I do hate her as well and she kind of spoils everything for me in this series.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails