Thursday 26 January 2012

REVIEW: Touch (Denazen,#1) by Jus Accardo

Touch by Jus Accardo

Publication Date: November 1st 2011
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Paperback, 251 pages





When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opportunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home.

Except there’s something off with Kale. He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she’ll turn to dust if he touches her. It’s not until Dez’s father shows up, wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there’s more to this boy—and her father’s “law firm”—than she realized.

Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation—an organization devoted to collecting “special” kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons—his entire life. And, oh yeah, his touch? It kills. The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down Denazen before they’re caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all. A secret Dez has spent her life keeping safe.

A secret Kale will kill to protect.
I can't begin to describe how excited I was about getting my hands on Touch by Jus Accardo. Ever since I read its premise and all those raving early reviews, I was just dying to start reading it. And once more, I have such high expectations about a book only to be disappointed in the end.

It's not that Touch is a bad book.Not by a long shot. It's just not the amazing book I expected it to be, and that's purely my own fault. I have said over and over again that I will stop reading reviews before I pick a title, and over and over again, I just make the same mistake.
Not that if I hadn't such high expectations, my opinion of a book would be different, I would just save myself  the disappointment.

Touch is just the right book for all fans of X-Men out there. So many people with amazing abilities are gathered in this story, that I couldn't help but be amazed with Jus Accardo's imagination.
The plot was fast paced, more fast paced than it should for me, and it keeps the reader on the edge the whole time.
But no matter how fast paced the plot was, it just couldn't really grab my attention due to different reasons.
First of all, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't connect with the heroine,Dez. I just couldn't. You would think that since she was so sarcastic and actually aware of how beautiful she really was, especially when I'm a bit tired of most heroines thinking themselves average or ugly when in fact they are gorgeous, Dez, would be just my kind of girl. But I'm afraid I just couldn't love her, no matter how much I liked some of her attributes. She came off a bit arrogant at times, and though I didn't really hate her, I just didn't like her either.

Kale was a nice character. I liked how he was unaware of even basic things or how to behave properly, he was just really cute but deadly as well. The combination was a winner for me. But his chemistry with Dez, just wasn't there for me.
Everything in this story just came way too easily and way too quickly for my taste. From how easily Dez and Kale proceeded from one clue to the next to how quickly they were certain of their feelings towards each other. Probably if Accardo made some things more difficult for them, I would now be talking for a mind blowing book. But right now, I can only talk about a book that I enjoyed reading, but nothing more. Cause Touch is an enjoyable read. That's for sure. But not something I went all crazy about.

All in all, though I liked Touch, I won't go crazy until the sequel gets published or rush to buy it. It just didn't rock my world as I was certain it would.






7 comments:

  1. Great review!

    I loved this book ^.^ Than again, I am a major X-Men fan!

    Angela @ TheLittleBluePig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the right book for X-Men fans :) Not that I'm not a fan of them myself, but despite all those amazing powers I just felt something was missing.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you are disappointed. And I know when expectations are too high and you don't like a book as much as you hoped for. Good luck with your next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Aurian. The higher the expectations the bigger the disappointment. That's why I have to stop reading reviews sometime.

      Delete
  3. Awww, I was hoping you like it more! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just wasn't what I hoped for unfortunately Savannah :(

      Delete
  4. Aw I know several bloggers who loved this one. I trust their opinions so I have had this one on my wishlist for some time.
    I'm sorry that it fell flat for you.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails