Friday 6 January 2012

EARLY REVIEW: Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom


Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom

Publication Date: January 10th 2012
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Hardcover, 288 pages

Buy via Book Depository



High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her.


Ian, who always passed her the baseball bat handle first.


Ian, who knew exactly when she needed red licorice.


Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom.


And then ditched her.


Now, as the sun rises over her small town, and with only the help of some opinionated ladies at the 7-Eleven, Justina must piece together — stain by stain on her thrift-store dress — exactly how she ended up dateless. A three-legged Chihuahua was involved. Along with a demolition derby-ready Cadillac. And there was that incident at the tattoo parlor. Plus the flying leap from Brian Sontag's moving car...


But to get the whole story, Justina will have to face the boy who ditched her. And discover if losing out at prom can ultimately lead to true love.


Filled with humor, charm, and romance, Ditched: A Love Story by debut novelist Robin Mellom will have readers dreaming of love on their own prom nights.

Oh well,one thing is for sure!I will remember Ditched for a very long time,but not because I was so thrilled with the story,but more because it is the first ever contemporary book,YA or adult,I ever struggled to finish...
Ditched was a rather huge disappointment to say the least.From the premise,I got the assumption that it was a humorous and sweet read but what I got instead was a rather boring story that I couldn't wait to reach the last page.Literally.

First of all,my main problem were the characters of this book and especially the main one,Justina...She easily falls into the category of my most disliked female characters, ever!She was self absorbed,acting stupidly and a little bit slutty and all of her babbling, inner and outer, just made me yawn again and again and again.If all teenage girls at the age of 16 were thinking like her or behaved like her, I would seriously start to think that something is going very wrong with the way kids are viewing the world (seriously, prom being more important than family...?And especially if you think Justina didn't want to go in the first place...God forbid what would have happened should she wanted it!)..But I'd like to think that teenagers don't act or think that way.Maybe some do,but not the majority.After all it's not that many years since I was a teenager and our main problem then was certainly not how many boys we've kissed.

From the beginning until the very end this story is...a huge bubble full of air.Nothing strikes me as possible from the very improbable events described and I couldn't connect to any character or sympathise with Justina.Nothing!I just couldn't care less for her drama of a prom disaster where her main regret was that she wasn't able to fulfil mission unlock lips.Yeah right!You see Justina hasn't kissed a boy for over 8 months and that is so huge a thing cause she's a kiss junky.For the love of God she's 16 and already kissed more than 12 boys and has to go to some kind of self inflicted rehab and that only because her reputation has been damaged...!Do I really need to continue why I couldn't like Justina no matter what?

Anyway,I can probably say more things I didn't like in Ditched but I don't see the point.The book was fairly good written,despite the typos of the galley, so my main problem was the story itself.I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.


*This title was reviewed via NetGalley



2 comments:

  1. Wow! Good to know. I was thinking it looked like a cute story, but nothing bugs me more than a self-absorbed, bratty protagonist. Thanks for the heads up!

    Karis @YA Litwit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, too bad! I was hoping you liked it. I adored it! I thought it was cute fun read.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails