Thursday 10 November 2011

REVIEW: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder,#2) by Kimberly Derting


Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Publication Date: February 15th 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Hardcover, 368 pages

Buy via Book Depository



Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.


As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

Kimberly Derting,once more managed to deliver an amazing book!I consider her one of the most talented writers I have come across and I just love the way she writes.

Having said that,I have to admit,that although I enjoyed Desires of the Dead,I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did the first book in the series.Technically,there wasn't anything wrong with it.The characters were well developed and you could really relate to either Violet or Jay and needless to say it was really well written!But still,it somehow lacked the creepiness of the first book,the "creepy" (that's how I have named it at least) voice was really easy to identify to whom it belonged and all in all,it wasn't as fast paced a book as The Body Finder was,especially the first half of the book.

As I said,I identified the "creepy" voice way too soon in the story,and Derting herself revealed the id really soon.So,the mystery was easily solved and nothing like before.And that's what I missed more in Desires of the Dead.A good,solid mystery.But what this book lacked in mystery department,gained in progress in Violet's life.We get to see how she further deals with her unusual gift,the FBI interest in her is on the plus side of the story and there's clearly more room for things to be said!

Reading about Jay and Violet's relationship,through the ups and downs was also amazing.Despite the fact that I found Violet's reactions towards things a bit too much at times,I could still relate to her and understand her.Jay is the ever sweet guy every girl dreams.Seriously, he's amazing!

All in all,I may haven't enjoyed Desires of the Dead as much as The Body Finder,but I still found myself unable to put the book down and I can hardly wait for the next installment!I only have one reservation: I seriously hope a love triangle will not evolve.There are the indications but I just hope they will remain that, mere indications...




1 comment:

  1. Oh no a possible love triangle!!!! Please tell me you are kidding. I have read The Body Finder and I own this book just haven't read it yet but I will hate it if a love triangle happens. I LOVE JAY!!

    Sigh, I'm gonna go cry now...

    Thanks for the great review though.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails