Tuesday 4 October 2011

REVIEW: Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler


Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

Publication Date: March 8th 2011
Publisher: Flux
Paperback, 303 pages

Buy via Book Depository


Star basketball player Chelsea "Nitro" Keyes had the promise of a full ride to college-and everyone's admiration in her hometown. But everything changed senior year, when she took a horrible fall during a game. Now a metal plate holds her together and she feels like a stranger in her own family.


As a graduation present, Chelsea's dad springs for a three-week summer "boot camp" program at a northern Minnesota lake resort. There, she's immediately drawn to her trainer, Clint, a nineteen-year-old ex-hockey player who's haunted by his own traumatic past. As they grow close, Chelsea is torn between her feelings for Clint and her loyalty to her devoted boyfriend back home. Will an unexpected romance just end up causing Chelsea and Clint more pain-or finally heal their heartbreak?

Wow!I mean wow!When I picked Playing Hurt,surely,I found the story really interesting,but I never expected how good it will be!Or more acurately I never expected how Molly Schindler would approach such a sensitive story.

This book deals with physical as well as psychological traumas and the way the author approaches the matter,is so sensitive and so well thought,that I was glued to the pages of this book,eager to see how things would resolve.
The writing style is really good.I loved the pace,the story building,the character building,everything!Molly Schindler writes in such a way,that the reader can not only "see" through her characters eyes but also "feel" their feelings.I may not could totally relate with Chelsea and her boy dilemma but I could understand her,I could feel her need to feel whole again through a boy that ignited in her feelings that her boyfriend couldn't dream.I know people who stay in troubled relationships for less serious reasons than Chelsea.So although I couldn't relate,I could understand or excuse her if you wish.
Clint,is amazing...I loved everything about him,his sensitivity and the way he tried to cope with his issues even if he wasn't really copying with them,at least at the beggining of the story.

Playing Hurt in a quick glance may seem like a light read about a summer love but honestly,it's so much more than that!And the ending,with it's bittersweet edge,highlights exactly that.
I totally recommend it!




1 comment:

  1. Okay Anna! I am so picking up this book! YOu make me want to read it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails