Tuesday 9 August 2011

EARLY REVIEW: Fury (The Fury series,#1) by Elizabeth Miles


Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Publication Date: August 30th 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Hardcover, 352 pages

Buy via Book Depository



Sometimes sorry isn't enough....


It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...


Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.


On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.


In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.


Em and Chase have been chosen.

Fury was a somewhat difficult book for me to make up my mind about it or rating it.The subject of the story was different from what I expected it to be,at least different than what the premise made me think it would be.

The writing style was ok I suppose,nothing extraordinary but nothing bad as well.It was just ok,something that in my mind didn't help this book.As soon as I started reading it,I just couldn't unfocus my attention from a single thing: how shallow most of the characters in this book were...Especially Gaby, Em's best friend but most of the rest girlfriends as well, are so shallow that I wanted to bang my head on any wall available...Honestly, if one believed that all teenage girls are thinking of is shopping or gossiping,that would be a most alarming scenario...Cause all those girls are thinking about are how to be mean to others,intentionally or not,how to gossip or shop (especially the scene were Em is spending a ridiculous amount of money to buy Gaby a present as a form of redemption,made me roll my eyes!) or make themshelves rise from unpleasant situations.It doesn't matter if things around them fall apart,they are so self absorbed,that nothing seem able to fase them!
But the guys in this book are not far better...It seems,that most teenage boys,plot to get as many girls as possible in their bed (ok that happens but, come on!),how to torture girls from their past or how to be accepted from their peers no matter the cost.I just happen to believe that teenagers nowadays have far greater issues to be concerned with,so all that striked me as a bit (to say the least) unbelievable.

Anyway,the story itself was boring for the best part of the book,at least for me.I don't know why I continued reading it,but I'm glad I did,cause most of the second half of Fury was way better than the first.On the first half nothing crucial happened,we just read about how Em lusted after her best friend's boyfriend and Chase after an unknown girl,who despite the fact that treated him like trash,he continued to run to her whenever she called him,like a very well trained puppy!That's pretty much all that happened in the first part and there's so much stupidity one can read about without being bored.So yes,I was bored and hoped that something would happen really soon.
And it did,thankfully!At the second half,it started to become clear where the story was headed,and although I really don't understand why the Furies would even bother to punish kids for their stupidity,the atmosphere of this book was really good and kept me going.And talking about the Furies,really,I still can't understand,why betraying your best friend,and making a terrible prank to someone would result in an unrelentless chase and cruel punishment.Surely,I don't think that that's a perfectly fine behavior but being punished like this?Really?When murders or rapists or pedophiles walk this earth,why would Furies focus on a couple of teenagers?Couldn't get it while I read this book,can't get it now that I'm thinking about it again.

All in all,Fury was an ok read,with many flaws but it had its good moments as well,but certainly it wasn't the kind of book I expected it to be.It mostly focuses on teenage drama with a splash of some paranormal element just for good measure.It's not something I will re-read and I'm not really curious to see what happens next.So,I won't continue reading this series.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, from the cover and the title I would also expect something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way! I mean why would these furies do that to teenagers? And the first part was indeed very BORING. OMG, nothing happened. Great, honest review.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails