Friday 24 June 2011

READING: An Offer from a Gentleman (Bridgertons,#3) by Julia Quinn


An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn

Publication Date: July 2001
Publisher: Avon
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages

Buy via Book Depository


Will she accept his offer before the clock strikes midnight?


Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball—or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feels like royalty. Alas, she knows all enchantments must end when the clock strikes midnight.


Who was that extraordinary woman? Ever since that magical night, a radiant vision in silver has blinded Benedict to the attractions of any other—except, perhaps this alluring and oddly familiar beauty dressed in housemaid's garb whom he feels compelled to rescue from a most disagreeable situation. He has sworn to find and wed his mystery miss, but this breathtaking maid makes him weak with wanting her. Yet, if he offers his heart, will Benedict sacrifice his only chance for a fairy tale love?

An Offer from a Gentleman,although certainly not among my favorite in the popular Bridgertons series by Julia Quinn,was a pleasant read from the first to the last page!

The whole Cinderella retale this book deals with,at first made me feel a bit apprehensive,but thankfully my apprehensions were quickly gone.I'm not a huge fan of retales,since whatever I've tried reading with retales of stories wasn't that much impressive for me... But fortunatelly,this book has only a feeling of a retale of the Cinderella story,and soon after the first chapters,although the feeling of reading Cinderella remains,the whole story carries you away...

What I liked most in this story is Sophie's character.I liked the way Julia Quinn developed her as a character and how she was portrayed.I liked how she was strong,with high morals and no matter what life brought her way,she accepted it and dealt with it in the most dignified manner.
What I liked least,and I can't believe I'm actually saying that about a member of a Bridgerton family,was Benedict.He was a bit of a "lukewarm" character for me,and although there were times I found him irresistible,most of the times he went a bit unnoticed for me,even though he was the main hero.

As for the rest,Julia Quinn once again writes exceptionally and her story manages to grab her readers interest making it really difficult to put any of her books down!I like her sense of humor that is evident in every book of hers I've read up to now and I love the way the romance evolves in her stories.
So,although this book may not be one of my favorites,it still is a very good book,and one that you read it quite pleasantly!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, I really have to read some of her books soon now. They are just gathering dust at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this before ... in fact I have the book, but I can't seem to remember what I thought of it. LOL ... reason enough to re-read the series.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails