Tuesday 10 May 2011

READING:The Iron King (Iron Fey,#1) by Julie Kagawa


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: February 1st 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Paperback, 363 pages

Order via Book Depository



Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…


Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.


When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.


But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa is not just an amazing book... it's fantastic and magical too!One of those books that stay with you long after you finished reading it with its beautiful and lyrical images and descriptions.To say I just enjoyed reading it would be an understatement!Try being exstatic about it better!

Before picking this book I was somewhat apprehensive towards it,despite the many good reviews I had seen and the opinion of people I know and take into serious consideration their opinion.I have to admit that although I've read and enjoyed some YA books about fey,I wasn't really thrilled with any of those,and I was especially afraid of The Iron Fey series due to the many references to Shakespeare's work.I've read a book with such references in the past and I didn't enjoy it in the least.So,I was a bit reluctant,but quickly I understood how wrong I was...
Definitely,there are some references to Shakespeare's work but only a few and only at the beggining.Julie Kagawa,took the characters of a very famous play and put them in a unique and smartly woven story creating a wonderful world and background for her book!

What I mostly loved though in Iron King are two things.Firstly the idea between the Iron Fey!Julie Kagawa took the fey myth one step further,creating a new race of fey,the result of people's dreams of technological progress!As soon as I reached that part of the book I was astonished by the very idea that our own dreams and aspirations have such a huge impact on Kagawa's fey world.I haven't come across such an idea ever and I was totally fascinated by it!
But apart the very idea of the Iron Fey,the other thing I really enjoyed is Jagawa's writing itself.A lyrical and mesmerizing writing,full of pictures and wonderful sceneries!In most books,the author just takes the reader by the hand and explains to him/her how the world is built and what's going on,but Kagawa instead,took the reader by the hand and shown him in perfect details how her world is built!
While reading The Iron King,I felt that the author just "made" me take a deep breath and immerge into her magical world and by the end of the book,I didn't want to come back to reality!

The characters are well developed,maybe I'd like to see something more about Puck,but ok that's what the sequels are for!,and the romance has the exact pace I love!Not too quick,or too late in the story,believable all the way!
I loved Meghan and her sense of duty towards her family,plus her reactions to everything new and astounding.Ash,is the bad boy I love reading about and I can't wait to see more about him and Puck is the exact opposite of Ash,adding to the whole story and love triangle even more!

All in all,there's not a single thing I can find to start complaining about this book,other than what was I thinking when I didn't order the whole series at once!Now,I just have to wait for the mailman to finally bring me The Iron Daughter to see how the story continues!
I totaly recommend this series to any YA lover!



3 comments:

  1. I have this one waiting to be read. I don't usually read YA and definitely not paranormal YA, but I'm looking forward to giving this one a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same inhibitions you had, and I admit, I still have them. I don't read much YA, and am not too crazy about stories about the Fey. But perhaps, one day, who'll know, I might pick it up.
    Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really intriguing and fresh take on the fey YA fiction.And very fast paced also!

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails