Tuesday 1 March 2011

READING: This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress,#5) by Jeaniene Frost


This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Publication Date: February 22nd 2011
Publisher: Avon
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages

Buy via Book Depository 



Danger waits on both sides of the grave.


Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .


With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"—the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.


I think that I have been waiting to read This Side of the Grave since forever, I guess...!The gap between Destined for an Early Grave and the 5th installment of The Night Huntress series was too long.And the spin off series didn't do much to appease my waiting time...I wanted the next adventure of Cat and Bones and finally the book arrived!And I couldn't been more excited about it!

This Side of the Grave is good!!!Not as good as the first two books in the series but absolutely great nevertheless.I just couldn't put it down,like every other book in this series to be honest.
The story starts about a year after the events of Destined for an Early Grave and the story takes into account all the events that happened at the two books of The Night Huntress World series so to anyone that hasn't read those books yet,keep in mind that this story has some possible spoilers.

At last,after the 3rd and the 4th book in the series,the plot in This Side of The Grave starts to be more substantial and melding perfectly with the past book in the series.To be honest,both the 3rd and the 4th book,intoduced some new parameters in the plot,thus their story seemed to stand out in comparison with the previous two.But,now,everything falls into place.The war between vampires and ghouls that was avoided when Cat turnned into a vampire, now is on the bridge of happening.Cat's unusual abilities and feeding habits give once again the perfect excuse for the ghouls to turn against the vampire nation in an attempt to gain more power with a destructive war.
As you can guess,politics,both vampire and ghouls,play a crucial part in this story.And although by no means I was bored with this book,I have to admit that the politics tired me a bit.I'm not a huge fan of politics and always find an excesive mention to them in a book tiresome.But that's a personal thing and besides,those exact politics were what made the whole story in here,so I kind of understand the need for the details!

Cat and Bones are perfect!I don't think I've ever loved a couple in a book more...Well,I love Bones more,but what girl who respects herself doesn't, right?I can rumble on and on about why I love Bones but then I'm afraid I will be of topic and since this review is of the 5th book,I'm guessing that everyone knows by now how hot and perfect Bones is,so no need for me to drool all over the review...(sigh!)

One more thing... Keep your mind on chapter 21!It's the new chapter 32 but to be honest,although I enjoyed,it wasn't half as good as chapter 32 is...Quite imaginative I have to admit but not as good.Maybe that's just me,but I think that the effort to duplicate that chapter,a bit reversed since Cat is doing the whole job but still duplicate, was wrong to begin with.The comparison between the two scenes was inevitable and I think that the whole deal with chapter 32 was due to it's high fantasy and originality so seeing that again somehow didn't work for me as good as I thought.

Anyway,words aren't enough to describe what a perfect series The Night Huntress is,so to anyone who might yet to pick this series I'm just strongly and highly recommending to do so!You're in for a big treat!This Side of the Grave had its' ups and downs but to be honest,I didin't really care,as I didn't previously also.I'm so in love with the characters and the writing style that it would take a really horrible story for me to say that I didn't like a book in this series!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading this book now as we speak! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your reading Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to read your review too closely as I am soon to start book 2. I really liked #1.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails