Thursday 6 January 2011

READING: Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Published: January 4th 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Hardback,435 pages


Eligible for challenges:Debut Author Challenge,Most Awaited Ya Releases,Descent of the Angels Reading Challenge



In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .


Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.


Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.


As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?


Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

Before i actually start to write down my review i want first of all to say a huge thanks to International Book Tours for giving me the chance to get my hands on an early copy of this book!

Unearthly is an amazing debut novel!I immensely enjoyed every single page of this book and once i started reading it,i just couldn't put it down!It has everything i love in a book.Interesting story,enough mystery to get you going and a decent romance!Oh,and a cast of some really well written characters as well!

From the first pages of this book,i just knew that i would eventually fall in love with the world Cynthia Hand created.Even if the story starts a bit abruptly,throwing the reader immediatelly inside a world with its own rules,i just couldn't help myself but feel intrigued to know more about it!The story begins immediatelly with the reader knowing that Clara,the main heroine,is a half blood or Nephilim and the details of her world are slowly unfolding throughout the whole book.The fact that Clara herself doesn't know the full extent of what her parentage means,just makes the reader go along with the story.The characters are very interesting all and although the plot hasn't that much of twists and turns,Unearthly is a thoroughly entairtening read!I really can't pinpoint what exactly made me turn the pages so quickly,if it was the smooth writing style,the love triangle where at least i couldn't get what the final choice would be,the obvious or the outsider (sort of speaking!) or the whole new take of the nephilim myth!Probably all of those elements i guess!

Cynthia's Hand writing style is amazing!I loved the descriptions and the way she progressed her story,even when nothing crucial happened but what i most enjoyed is her sense of humour that is evident throughout the whole book!I found myself laughing like an idiot while reading at night in bed with my fiance snoring in ignorant bliss by my side!
The characters of this book were also interesting.I liked Clara but i loved Tucker and Wendy especially.Clara's mother on the other hand,i don't know...She kind of irritated me at points and although there are for sure some explanations to come about her behavior at times in the sequel,i just couldn't understand her.Plus,she didn't convince me as a being of wisdom that's been around on earth for decades.And Christian,also didn't quite convince me as the all lovable guy.I just couldn't connect with him or see a spark between Clara and Christian throughout the whole book.Whereas with Tucker,all was different!Even when he was being a total ass to her,you could sense something more.

Anyway,the ending was a bit harsh.I kind of waited for something more to happen,i don't know,some explanations about some things,but no.And although the ending is not definitely a cliffhanger it sure leaves the reader with more questions than answers.But all in all,i just loved Unearthly and i will certainly continue with the sequel!I guess picking it for my first debut novel for 2011 was a good thought after all!



9 comments:

  1. whoa! you really liked it :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeap!I just couldn't put it down :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I loved this book! Tucker was just sweet! Glad you had a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. I LOVE this book. Great review. Adorable blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your compliments :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Thanks for posting. This book certainly seems to be a must read. I am a new follower having found you through your review link on Books with Bite (2011 YA Awaited Challenge). Would love for you to visit my blog when you get a chance and possibly follow-back.
    Laurie
    http://lauriethoughts-reviews.blogspot.com/
    http://lauries-interviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, awesome review! This was my first debut book I read and reviewed for 2011. By reading this it seemed like you enjoyed it as much as I did. My review can be found on the Most Awaited YA CHallenge (Books with Bite) review list along with yours. I have followed you, and I hope you can pass by and give one in return. Thanks!

    http://www.yaconcoction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. And yes it's a love triangle, but it's the most intense build-up to Clara and Tucker's relationship as well Clara's relationship with Christian that I've seen in long time. It will embrace you. Clara is strong, courageous girl with a vision and purpose for her life, but her mouth has a way of running off with the first thought that pops into her head. And this is how she gets off to bad start with Tucker.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails