Tuesday 21 September 2010

READING: Evernight (Evernight,#1) by Claudia Gray



Evernight by Claudia Gray


Publication Date: May 1st 2008
Publisher: HarperTeen
Paperback, 327 pages

Buy via Book Depository



Bianca wants to escape.


She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.


Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.


"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."


But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.



I had my eye set on Evernight actually for quite a long time but everytime i thought of buying and reading this book something stopped me.The story wasn't so unique,the reviews were mixed and something told me that it wasn't worth the try... Now that i read it,i just wish i had listened to my feeling and didn't bother with this book...

It wasn't that it was so bad a book...But the writing was so cheesy and cliche that while reading it, i had the irresistible urge to smack my head.I mean come on,the heroine,Bianca, has just met her guy and in 10 minutes she already knows that she shares a bond with him???And,ok,let's believe she's actually so naive to have such thoughts,but she actually wonders whether Lucas also feels that they share that same "phantom" bond and after some pages she is confirmed that "Yes!" he surely feels they have something unique only because they spoke a couple of times...!!!Come on,i've been a teenager,i had a number of crushes but that kind of thinking never occured to me...

Despite all the cheesy writing i kept on reading the book,hoping that it might get better,that somehow,if i overcome all those details that made me deslike Bianca,i could enjoy the book,but no.After i reached the middle,i was certain that it was even worse than i thought...I can't really say much here cause i will give out the plot of the book,not that anyone wouldn't guess it immediately,but still i hate spoilers.So,i'll just say that in addition to the bad writing,i couldn't get to like any of the protagonists in this book,not even Lucas,who was a pretty decent heroe,but i just couldn't care about either him or Bianca or whatever happened to them and their all so dreamy romance...

To wrap it up,i couldn't make myself like this book no matter what,although it had some good points in it but when you begin a book and immediately dislike some things,well,after that you are a bit prejudiced.If you can overcome the cheesy writing and the huge holes in the plot,you might be able to like Evernight,but i just couldn't...



2 comments:

  1. I was surprised when I read your review. I've heard great things about this one and have it on my TBR so I'm going to have to rethink my decision whether to buy it or not. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah,i'm always sad to give a bad review but i just can't lie and say good things for a book that didn't work for me...It's a personal opinion so maybe other people really enjoyed it.Maybe if i was younger i would have liked it better,but since i'm 25 i just couldn't get into it...

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails