Tuesday 18 June 2013

REVIEW: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead


The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Series:Bloodlines, #3
Publication Date:February 12th 2013
Publisher:Razorbill
Hardcover, 401 pages
Useful Info: Goodreads, Author's Website, Book Depository

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.


Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.

It's no big secret that I absolutely love Richelle Mead and her writing style. I mean she has written some of my favorite books, both adult and YA. So, it's only natural that I couldn't possibly wait to get my hands on Indigo Spell, the third book in her spin off series. Because you see, even if Bloodlines, isn't yet half as good as Vampire Academy is, I still love both Mead's writing style and the world she created. And after feeling a little bit disappointed with the previous two books in this series, I think that finally, things are starting to slowly get better.

Indigo Spell, was great! Simple as that. Not perfect or mind blowing, but great nevertheless and definitely way better than the previous two books. At least I saw it that way.

Sydney is finally starting to resemble a human being with emotions and flaws, well, she's not flawed, she's still the most perfect heroine ever, but in Indigo Spell she starts showing signs of emotional capability. And I really liked that about Sydney. I may not hated her before, but she definitely was a character I just didn't care about. I didn't hate her, but I wasn't her biggest fan either. And for a number of reasons that I have stated before, so no need to repeat myself. But in Indigo Spell there are signs of improvement in her character. She stops moaning the whole time and judge everyone, including herself. She feels more relaxed, she starts questioning things and act a little bit like the super smart person she's supposed to be. She embraces her magic and most importantly, the fact that she actually feels something for Adrian.

And that is the second part of this book that I really loved. Sydney and Adrian finally, and after that ending in the second book, are slowly starting to roll!There are cute scenes between them, romantic ones as well as funny. Well, it's a Richelle Mead book, of course there would be some funny scenes. But even though Adrian and Sydney's romance is finally moving forward, the story in Indigo Spell isn't just focused there. There's also some action, not an explosive one like in VA, but there's definitely action, and even though this third book in the series is a "bridge" between what happened and what is about to come (and I usually hate bridges, they bore me out of my mind), it is fast paced and a story hard to put down. Well, you guessed right, I devoured it in one sitting. I couldn't help it!

Adrian, well, like I said, he's Adrian. He can't disappoint his fans and he has a way to make you love him even if you don't want to. He managed to change Sydney's opinion, who am I to resist? The rest of the team isn't really making that great an appearance in this book though. Jill and Eddy only appear in a few scenes, while Rose, Lisa or Dimitri just have a line or two in the whole book. Can't complain that I missed them though. I had a lot of things to focus apart from them like the elusive Marcus Finch. I had a hard time deciding whether I liked him as a character or I couldn't care about him. I still haven't decided. He definitely had his moments, but I wasn't convinced. I'll have to wait to make up my mind about him on the future books.

All in all, Indigo Spell is my favorite book in the Bloodlines series so far. There were moments that I actually remembered how it feels to read a book written by Richelle Mead, something that sadly wasn't the case with the other two books. Let's hope that we have even better things to hope for with the future books!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails